Balanced is an integrated health clinic that brings chiropractic, physical therapy, and massage together under one roof. We serve the greater Charlottesville area by providing individualized treatment plans to help our patients recover and become stronger versions of themselves.
To become a new patient simply contact us or call the office at 434-293-3800 to make an appointment that is convenient for you. You can also request an appointment using the “book appointment “ link at the bottom right of your screen and our staff will reach out to you to make an appointment.
Generally, we are able to offer same day and next day appointments, especially for those in severe pain. We make every effort to see you as quickly as possible to get you on your path to recovery.
Before Your First Appointment
- Fill out some brief paperwork. This will give our providers an overview of your health and injury
- Verify your insurance benefits: We do this at our office as a courtesy, to give you an estimate of costs
- Be sure to remember or write down any specific questions you wish to ask your provider
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before your appointment
- Come dressed in cloths that you can easily move around in
What to Expect at Your First Visit
History & Examination
In order to determine a working diagnosis, the doctors will perform a full evaluation including a patient history, functional movement observation, range of motion and strength measurements, and any relevant special diagnostic test.
Information from your history and initial examination will help determine what structures you have injured. This allows us to develop a comprehensive and individualized treatment plan to help you achieve your goals.
Review of Findings
Once the exam is over your doctor will explain your diagnosis, treatments that may be incorporated, and discuss how chiropractic and/or physical therapy can help. This is a great time for you to ask your doctor any questions related to the diagnosis and treatment recommendations.
Same Day Treatment
Most patients will be provided with their first treatment the same day as the initial exam:
- For Chiropractic patients, first visit treatment consists of a chiropractic adjustment, soft tissue techniques, and/or modalities to reduce pain and discomfort.
- For Physical Therapy patients, a home program is demonstrated and performed to ensure proper completion and to promote early pain free movement. Manual therapy may also be incorporated to provide symptom relief.
Prior to leaving, patients will be given instructions on certain activities or procedures to do at home. This may include home exercises, ice or heat application, avoidance of certain activities or positions, and posture and activity advice.
Imaging Studies and Referral
Most injuries do not require x-rays or advanced imaging (MRI, CT). We never recommend imaging unless fracture or other serious pathologies are suspected. If necessary, imaging will be done at Martha Jefferson Hospital or UVA, where a medical radiologist as well as your doctor will review the films.
If your examination reveals anything that requires attention from another medical professional, you will be promptly referred to ensure comprehensive management of your condition.