Sleep is becoming an increasingly important issue for Americans. 35% of American adults are getting less than the recommended minimum of 7 hours a night. This affects a wide range of health issues: hormone levels, weight gain, cognitive function, depression, anxiety, irritability, and heart disease.
If you have trouble sleeping here are some tips to help you get those all important ZZZZZsss. Improving your sleep hygiene will improve your life!
- Prioritize sleep, plan to get at least 7 hours a night and schedule yourself accordingly.
- Pick a bed time. Go to bed at the same time every night, even on weekends.
- Make sure your bedroom is very dark. Use blackout curtains.
- Avoid screen time before bed, and don’t check your social media in bed. The blue light from screens will keep you up.
- Keep your room cool- we humans sleep better in a cool environment.
- Limit caffeine in the afternoon.
- And avoid alcohol for several hours before bed.
Try these tips and see if your sleep doesn’t improve over the next week or two. Let us know your results!