Whether recreational, high school, or collegiate, athletes have different goals and need treatment plans to reflect their unique needs. Each sport has its own physical demands and requires our bodies to work in different ways. At Balanced, we take these unique needs of all of our athletes in order to create a plan to help return each participant to their sport at a higher level than they were pre-injury. Our facility is equipped to progress our patients past standard rehabilitation protocols to ensure that they are being discharged in the best possible condition.
Who we treat
All athletes, regardless of sport, are welcomed at Balanced. We have experience working with athletes of all age levels from youth sports to professional athletes. Some of the more common sports that we have seen in the clinic include football, lacrosse, swimming, baseball, volleyball, mixed martial arts, ice hockey, cycling, climbing, and running athletes.
Although not an all inclusive list, these are some of the more common sports injuries we see within the clinic:
- Overuse injuries (tendonitis, chondromalacia patella, Osgood-Schlatter’s)
- Muscle strains
- Ligament sprains
- Post-surgical injuries
- See our what we treat page for more information on common injuries we see
Pillars of Treatment
- Educate: Sometimes education can be the most essential part of healing. Education about your condition, expectations for recovery, and training programming can be invaluable in the recovery process. We take time with our sports rehabilitation clients to ensure all their needs are being exceeded.
- Proper exercise dosing and prescription: As stated above, each sport has its own demands, and each sports rehabilitation program should reflect this. A strength and power athletes program should look drastically different from an endurance athletes program. We insure frequency, intensity, time, and type of exercises are adjusted to reflect each individuals specific needs. When you come to Balanced, you will not get a generic approach to your rehabilitation.
- Stepwise progression back to sport: Every patient enters rehab at a different point in injury recovery. Because of this, we make sure to tailor plans to be challenging enough to each patient based on initial fitness and recovery level when coming to the clinic. We ensure fundamental strength and movement patterns are achieved before progressing. Progression is based on subjective reports of pain and intensity level. We ensure that we are progressively loading your body to prevent exacerbations of symptoms, but also to help you grow as an athlete.
- High level loading: Sports rehabilitation requires different discharge criteria. At Balanced, we ensure our plans are carried out until our athletes have reached a higher level of loading than most other clinics. This means that we will ensure that athletes stay under our care until they have reached a higher level of function. Depending on sport this may mean being able to perform heavy deadlifts, squats, overhead presses, or other movements that show adequate strength for return to sport.