The knee joint is the most vulnerable and most common snow sport related injury. The good news is there are steps you can take to condition and prepare your body for winter sports such as skiing.
Things to do in preparation for your ski trip:
- Core and lower extremity exercises (listed below)
- Training your cardiovascular fitness- many injuries occur as a result of fatigue
- Proper equipment that is appropriate for your height and skill level
- Take a skiing technique class before hitting the slopes
Preventing Injury on the slopes:
- First off warm up your body before hitting the slopes each day
- Proper technique: Hands and weight forward, legs parallel and hips, knees and ankles flexed equally
- Stay on trails that are marked for skiing safely
The following are exercises should be preformed several weeks before you plan to ski. All of the exercises should be attempted for 1 minute and increase the time as you improve.
Standing on one leg reach the other leg toward an imaginary clock face. Repeat on other side.
With both feet close together bend your knees and jump side to side while maintaining a straight spine and a flat back as well as even weight in both feet.
Start from a squat position with feet close together jump from diagonal to diagonal landing on the balls of the feet.
Side to side skaters
Stand on one leg and take a large step to the with the other leg and then take another large step back to where you were. Make sure your pelvis stays level and your knee does not buckle inward.
Check out the full video for these fun and helpful exercises!